DISCOVER ROCKLAND'S HISTORY
Learn more about the early history of Rockland County by visiting our many historic sites, museums and monuments.
9/11 Memorial At Haverstraw Bay Park
21 Gagan Road | Haverstraw, NY 10927 | 845-359-5476
A tribute park overlooking the Hudson River is Rockland County's memorial to those from Rockland lost in the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks.
42 Andre Hill | Tappan, NY 10983 | 845-364-2670
Andre Monument marks the site where a British spy Major John Andre was hung and buried in 1780 during the American Revolution. It is a large granite monument located on a 20 foot by 20-foot plot enclosed by a wrought iron fence.
110 Main Street | Tappan, New York 10983 | 845-359-5475
Built in 1668, the ’76 House is one of America’s oldest taverns and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the American Revolutionary War, the tavern served as a meeting place for local patriots. Most notably, the `76 House served as the “prison” of the Revolution’s most notorious spy, Major John Andre - the British spy who plotted with the arch traitor Benedict Arnold for the surrender of West Point. Commander-in-Chief General George Washington also dined in the comfortable atmosphere of The Old ’76 House.
220 Brick Church Road | Spring Valley, NY 10977 | 845-354-6131
Built in 1774, the graves of Revolutionary soldiers and some original settlers are found in its church yard.
Camp Shanks World War II Museum
20 Greenbush Road | Orangeburg, NY 10962 | 845-359-5100
The Camp Shanks Museum commemorates the military facility that served as the largest point of embarkation for soldiers headed for North Africa and Europe during World War II, including the landing forces for the D-Day invasion. Opened in 1942, Camp Shanks contained 1,500 barracks, mess halls, theaters, a hospital, and other buildings where some 1.5 million G.I.s (approximately 40,000 a month) were issued combat equipment and underwent final inspections before shipping overseas.
Central Presbyterian Church
89 Hudson Avenue | Haverstraw, NY 10927 | 845-429-5111
150 year-old church in Haverstraw featuring 13 full-size Tiffany windows. Shown by appointment.
Dewint House & Museum
20 Livingston Avenue | Tappan, NY 10983 | 845-359-2670
George Washington's temporary Headquarters at Tappan on four separate occasions during the American Revolutionary War.
Edward Hopper House Museum & Study Center
82 N. Broadway | Nyack, NY 10960 | 845-358-0774
This birthplace and boyhood home of the eminent realist painter Edward Hopper was built in 1858. The restored house is a NYS Historic Site.
Haverstraw African American Memorial Park
41 Clinton Street | Haverstraw, NY 10927 | 845-429-2920
Located across the street from the site of the former African Methodist Episcopal Bethel Church founded by slaves and free blacks in 1846.
Haverstraw Brick Museum
12 Main Street | Haverstraw, NY 10927 | 845-947-3505
Exhibits relate and recount the over 100 year history of brick making in Haverstraw, an area once known as "The Brick-Making Capital of the World."
Historical Society of Rockland County
20 Zukor Road | New City, NY 10956 | 845-634-9629
History Center with exhibition galleries and restored 1832 Jacob Blauvelt Farmhouse and barn on five-acre site.
Historical Society of the Nyacks
PO Box 850 | Nyack, NY 10960 | 845-418-4430
The Historical Society of the Nyacks is a nonprofit organization that hosts programs, exhibits, walking tours and other events that promote local history.
Holocaust Museum & Center for Tolerance and Education
Rockland Community College - Library Media Center 2nd FL | 145 Colleg | Library Media Center | Suffern, NY 10901 | 845-574-4099
The Holocaust Museum & Center for Tolerance and Education is dedicated to commemorating human suffering during the Holocaust and to educate future generations about this unprecedented catastrophe. Located at the Rockland Community College campus in Suffern, New York, the museum features guided tours, interpretive displays and exhibits, and educational programs and events throughout the year.
John Green House
23 Main Street | Nyack, NY 10960
Nyack’s oldest house, built in 1819 of local sandstone, belonged to John Green. Mr. Green was pivotal in the establishment of commerce and transportation in Nyack and Rockland County. He built a seaport and was responsible for the development of the Nyack Turnpike, which today is essentially Route 59.
Law Enforcement Museum
55 New Hempstead Road | New City, NY 10956 | 845-638-5585
Located at the Rockland County Sheriff's Office, the walls of the county Sheriff's Department are filled with photos and interesting memorabilia.
174 Filors Lane | Stony Point, NY 10980 | 845-947-2200
Featuring an exact replica of St. John Bosco's birthplace and statues by Italian sculptor Henry Arrighini. Offers a center for pilgrimage and prayer.
Mount Moor Cemetery
4292 Palisades Center Drive | West Nyack, New York 10994
Historic African-American cemetery with approximately 90 known graves. Located at Palisades Center. Listed on National Register of historic places.
Orangetown Historical Museum & Archives
196 Chief Bill Harris Way | Orangeburg, NY 10962 | 845-398-1302
Located at the historic Isaac Depew House in Orangeburg.
Piermont Train Station & Museum
50 Ash Street | Piermont, NY 10968 | 845-300-4005
The only remaining station of its kind that is on the National Historic Register. Today the station serves as a tribute to Piermont's history.
Rockland County Law Enforcement Memorial
1 S. Main Street | New City, NY 10956 | 845-638-5585
Dedicated in memory of the law enforcement officers of Rockland County who dedicated and sacrificed their lives in the line of duty.
Rockland County Volunteer Fire Services Museum
35 Firemen’s Memorial Drive | Pomona, NY 10970 | 845-364-8800
The museum showcases 200 years of fire service history, including a horse- drawn steamer, hand drawn hose cart and antique fire trucks. It has a collection of firematic memorabilia dating back to1834, when Orangetown Fire Co. #1 was the first to organize. Call for appointment.
Stony Point Lighthouse & Battlefield
44 Battlefield Road | Stony Point, NY 10980 | 845-786-2521
Restored 1826 lighthouse, the oldest on the Hudson River and one of Rockland's best-known historical landmarks.
Suffern Railroad Museum
1 Erie Plaza | Suffern, NY 10901 | 845-357-2600
Opened in 1998 and located on Orange Avenue at the corner of Commuter Parking Lot A, the museum is housed in an 1908 Wells Fargo Building, restored to showcase Suffern’s rich railroad history. The Railroad Museum is open Saturday mornings 9am–1pm, May through October.
Suffern Village Museum
61 Washington Avenue | Suffern, NY 10901 | 845-357-2600
Exhibits relating to the history of Suffern and the Ramapo area from earliest settlement through the 20th century.
Tappantown Historical Society
PO Box 71 | Tappan, NY 10983 | 845-359-1923
The Tappantown Historical Society is a nonprofit organization founded in 1965 and permanently chartered by the New York State Board of Regents to preserve,
The Isaac DePew House
196 Blaisdell Road | Orangeburg, NY 10976 | 845-398-1302
Dutch sandstone house with a gambrel roof constructed around the time of the Revolutionary War by Isaac Depew. The clapboard addition in the 1930s serves the museum with extra exhibition space. Open Sundays 1-4pm, and Tuesdays, 10am-2pm by appointment only. Handicapped accessible. Donations appreciated.
The Jacob Blauvelt Farmhouse
20 Zukor Road | New City, New York 10956 | 845-634-9629
Restored 1832 farmhouse. An example of Flemish vernacular architecture with Greek Revival ornamentation, the house contains period rooms that illustrate the lifestyle of local farming families during the first half of the 19th century. Office hours: Tuesday-Friday 10am-5pm. Exhibits: Wednesday-Sunday noon-4 pm Group tours by appointment.
The Michael Salyer House
212 Blue Hill Road | Pearl River, NY 10965 | 845-735-0429
The Salyer House was built in the last quarter of the 18th century. In 2003 the Salyer House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Showcases three permanent exhibits, by appointment only. Handicapped accessible, donations appreciated.
Thurgood Marshall Human Rights Monument
37 South Main Street | New City, NY 10956
The Thurgood Marshall Human Rights Monument honors Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall who founded the NAACP Legal Defense Fund in 1940 and argued the well-known Brown v. Board of Education case in 1952-1953. Marshall came to prominence in Rockland County in 1943, when he brought the NAACP Legal Defense Fund's nationwide desegregation fight to Hillburn to ensure Black students received the same quality of education as white students.